Washington—Senator Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), Senator Barbara Boxer (D-Calif.) and Congressman Mike Thompson (D-Calif.) today announced that the Obama Administration has approved Individual Assistance (IA) Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) disaster funds for areas in Napa and Solano Counties impacted by the August 24th earthquake. The Obama Administration also approved U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA) loans for homeowners, businesses, and nonprofit organizations. The Obama Administration had previously only approved FEMA disaster funds for Public Assistance (PA).
“I applaud FEMA’s decision to approve sorely-needed individual assistance for families affected by the South Napa earthquake,” said Feinstein. “When I visited Napa after the earthquake, I saw the suffering in the community, the red- and yellow-tagged homes and businesses that were hurt. Families and business owners need help to make necessary repairs, and individual assistance will go a long way toward helping those affected by the earthquake move forward with their lives.”
Boxer said, “I thank the Obama administration for determining that the people of Napa and Solano counties who were severely affected by the recent earthquake will be eligible for Individual Assistance grants and SBA loans. Residents suffering because of this devastating quake can now apply for grants of up to $32,400 to repair their homes, find temporary housing and cover expenses such as medical bills or moving costs. Business owners will be eligible for low-interest disaster loans of up to $2 million to repair and rebuild, homeowners can apply for loans of up to $200,000, and renters can qualify for loans of up to $40,000 to cover personal property losses.”
“The approval of this much needed assistance is an important step in our region’s recovery, and it will finally allow us to start helping folks get back on their feet,” said Thompson. “Individuals and families will be able to use these funds to begin the process of rebuilding and repairing homes and other personal property. And, local businesses will be able to apply for low-interest SBA loans to repair or replace disaster-damaged property, inventory and supplies. I stand ready to work with our state and local officials to make sure people know what assistance is available, who qualifies and how to apply. My office is also ready to assist with any hurdles people may encounter.”
The FEMA disaster funds for IA that the Obama Administration approved today is funding for individuals and families to help rebuild and repair housing and other personal property.
Individuals in Napa and Solano Counties can register with FEMA the following ways:
Apply online at www.DisasterAssistance.gov.
Apply via smartphone at m.fema.gov.
Constituents may call the registration phone number at 1-800-621-3362; those who have a speech disability or hearing loss and use TTY, should call 1-800-462-7585 directly; for those who use 711 or Video Relay Service (VRS), call 1-800-621-3362.
The Small Business Administration (SBA) loans that the Obama Administration approved today would help businesses repair or replace disaster-damaged property, inventory, and supplies. Homeowners and renters may also be eligible for SBA loans to repair or replace disaster-related damages to homes or personal property.
Businesses and homeowners that would like to apply for SBA loans can do so online here.
The Obama Administration previously approved FEMA disaster funds for PA. This is funding for local communities to use to repair public infrastructure such as roads, bridges, buildings, water infrastructure, power generation facilities, sewage collection facilities, and drainage channels. The federal government covers 75 percent of the costs, and the state and local governments split the remaining 25 percent.
Hazard Mitigation funding was also previously approved. This is funding for local communities to repair facilities in a way that will help make sure they are better able to withstand future earthquakes.
The approved funding is in response to the August 24th, magnitude-6.0 earthquake that struck the Napa, Solano and Sonoma County area at approximately 3:20 a.m. According to the U.S. Geological Survey, the epicenter was three miles from American Canyon, six miles from Napa, and eight miles from Sonoma.
The earthquake was the largest to hit the Bay Area in 25 years. Estimates show that the earthquake caused $362 million in damage and damaged more than 1,500 homes. Governor Brown has declared a State of Emergency and requested federal assistance. Feinstein joined a letter to the President urging him to approve the state’s request.